This is the course topics and videos used for the Marketing Management Course from Marketing Management 14e book from Kotler and Keller.
I/ Chapter 1: Defining Marketing for 21st Century
Topic: Marketing; Marketing Concepts; Marketing Management Learning Objectives:
- Why is marketing important?
- What is the scope of marketing?
- What are some core marketing concepts?
- How has marketing management changed in recent years?
- What are the tasks necessary for successful marketing management?
Video Title: Google
Synopsis This video describes how Google became a “master at marketing its own brand”. The goal was to make marketing useful to all people and it continues to save people time when they search for products and services. Google offers employees a unique and innovative workplace that results in creative employees.
II/ Chapter 2: Developing Marketing Strategies and Plans
Topic: Marketing and Customer Value; Strategic Planning Learning Objectives:
- How does marketing affect customer value?
- How is strategic planning carried out at different levels of the organization?
- What does a marketing plan include?
Video Title: Joie de Vivre-Strategic Management Link: http://media.pearsoncmg.com/ph/bp/bp_mylabs/akamai/template/video640x480.php?title=JoiedeVivreHospitality%20-%20Strategic%20Management&clip=pandc/bp/2011/management/JDVH-VID2-WEB640.mov&caption=bp/bp_mylabs/akamai/2011/management/xml/JDVH-VID2-WEB640.adb.xml
Synopsis This video describes how Chip Conley purchased and developed Joie de Vivre from a rundown hotel to a cutting-edge business and the second largest boutique hotel chain. Effective planning enhances the long-term growth of an organization.
III/ Chapter 3: Collecting Information and Forecasting Demand
Topic: Data Collection and Demand Learning Objectives:
- What are the components of a modern marketing information system?
- What are useful internal records for such a system?
- What makes up a marketing intelligence system?
- What are some influential macroenviornment developments?
- How can companies accurately measure and forecast demand?
Video Title: Crispin Porter + Bogusky
Synopsis This video explores the creative and innovative advertising firm Crispin Porter + Bogusky. The firm meets the changing demands of the consumer because they are not afraid to take risks. They also utilize the power of the digital age in the micro and macro environment to create or enhance brand image. They utilize the power of social media and technology to enhance the marketing intelligence system; and promote positive outcomes to enhance the natural environment.
IV/ Chapter 4: Conducting Marketing Research
Topic: Market Research; Measuring Market Productivity; Return on Investment
- What constitutes good marketing research?
- What are the best metrics for measuring marketing productivity?
- How can marketers assess their return on investment of marketing expenditures?
Video Title: Dunkin’ Donuts
Synopsis This video describes a historical overview that illustrates the growth and success at Dunkin’ Donuts. The company conducts extensive research to evaluate the freshness and quality of the products. It offers competitive products to meet consumer demands.
V/ Chapter 5: Creating Long-term Loyalty Relationships
Topic: Long-term Relationships; Brand loyalty; Consumer satisfaction Learning Objectives:
- What are customer value, satisfaction, and loyalty, and how can companies deliver them?
- What is the lifetime value of customers, and how can marketers maximize it?
- How can companies attract and retain the right customers and cultivate strong customer relationships?
- What are the pros and cons of database marketing?
Video Title: Harley Davidson
Synopsis Harley Davidson is an established company that is known for its motorcycles. This video describes the unique brand relationship between Harley Davidson and the owners. It describes the brand loyalty and the value and satisfaction that it delivered to consumers for over one hundred years. The company cultivates strong brand loyalty with the diversified group of products and services it delivers to consumers.
VI/ Chapter 6: Analyzing Consumer Markets
Topic: Employee Motivation
- How do consumer characteristics influence buying behavior?
- What major psychological processes influence consumer responses to the marketing program?
- How do consumers make purchasing decisions?
- In what ways do consumers stray from a deliberative, rational decision process?
Video Title: Joie de Vivre (Hospitality Employee Motivation)
Synopsis This video describes Joie de Vivre Hospitality and their philosophy on employee motivation. Management believes that the hotel business is a noble profession and that it’s important to provide a place to feel safe and create memories for the customer. The company’s mission statement is “joy of life”, with the desire to raise customer service to a new level by motivating their employees using Maslow’s hierarchy.
VII/ Chapter 7: Analyzing Business Markets
Topic: Business Markets; Consumer Markets
- What is the business market, and how does it differ from the consumer market?
- What buying situations do organizational buyers face?
- Who participates in the business-to-business buying process?
- How do business buyers make their decisions?
- How can companies build strong relationships with business customers?
- How do institutional buyers and government agencies do their buying?
Video Title: Hasbro
Synopsis This video describes how Hasbro has maintained continued success in the marketplace. The company is a global organization that is active in more than 100 countries. Consumers and businesses both buy its products; and the company is successful at meeting the demands of consumers on a global basis. A diversified product base, compiled with alternative channels and product differentiation strategies enhance the strong relationship with business consumers.
VIII/ Chapter 8: Identifying Market Segments and Targets
Topic: Understanding Consumers; Building Brands
- What are the different levels of market segmentation?
- In what ways can a company divide a market into segments?
- What are the requirements for effective segmentation?
- How should business markets be segmented?
- How should a company choose the most attractive target markets?
Video Title: Proctor and Gamble
Synopsis Business Now looks at Proctor & Gamble who is an innovator both in building brands and understanding consumers. This video describes how P&G started out in 1882 with a newspaper advertisement to establish trust by explaining that Ivory Soap floats so you can find the bar in the tub. This philosophy of trust was evidenced by their other brands advertisements, for example “Look Ma – No cavities” was the ad for Crest. In order to identify market segments and targets, P&G considers it vital to understand the consumer; in addition to understanding how the brand plays a part in the consumers’ life. P&G accomplishes this through focus groups and research with consumers. The Internet plays a critical role in both research and marketing now.
IX/ Chapter 9: Creating Brand Equity
Topic: Building Strong Brands
- What is a brand, and how does branding work?
- What is brand equity?
- How is brand equity built, measured, and managed?
- What are the important brand architecture decisions in developing a branding strategy?
Video Title: American Express
Synopsis This video describes the brand American Express. American Express has reached consumers by keeping up with the changing needs of the population. They started out in the 1800’s as a freight company, and then expanded into traveler’s checks. Next, they became known as the preferred credit card for businesses. Over time, through brand extensions, they expanded their card offerings to meet the needs of different segments. American Express believes that if you stay close to what the consumer wants, and continue to give value you can create new channels.
X/ Chapter 10: Crafting the Brand Positioning
Topic: Developing and Establishing Brand Positioning
- How can a firm develop and establish an effective positioning in the market?
- How do marketers identify and analyze competition?
- How are brands successfully differentiated?
- What are the differences in positioning and branding with a small business?
Video Title: Marriott
Synopsis Marriott stays on top of their game with market segmentation and targeting those segments. This video describes how Marriott decided to enhance customer value by segmenting the market, and providing each with a distinct brand and style all under the brand identity of Marriott. Marriott’s brand identity is a commitment to superior customer service, which starts with training employees to have a passion for service.
Chapter 11: Competitive Dynamics
Topic: Competitive Dynamics and Marketing Strategies
- How can market leaders expand the total market and defend market share?
- How should market challengers attack market leaders?
- How can market followers or nichers compete effectively?
- What marketing strategies are appropriate at each stage of the product life cycle?
- How should marketers adjust their strategies and tactics for an economic downturn or recession?
Video Title: Gawker Media
Link http://media.pearsoncmg.com/ph/bp/bp_mylabs/akamai/template/video640x480.php?title=GawkerMedia -%20Business%20in%20a%20Global%20Economy&clip=pandc/bp/2011/management/GWKR-VID4-WEB640.mov&caption=bp/bp_mylabs/akamai/2011/management/xml/GWKR-VID4-WEB640.adb.xml
Synopsis This video describes the dynamic firm, Gawker Media, and how they are a market leader in industry. Students learn the challenges associated with globalization; and the marketing strategies associated with market leaders in a global capacity.
XII/ Chapter 12: Setting Product Strategy
Topic: Product Strategies
- What are the characteristics of products, and how do marketers classify products?
- How can companies differentiate products?
- Why is product design important and what factors affect a good design?
- How can a company build and manage its product mix and product lines?
- How can companies combine products to create strong co-brands or ingredient brands?
- How can companies use packaging, labeling, warranties, and guarantees as marketing tools?
Video Title: General Electric
Synopsis GE feels that consumers can have an emotional buying experience when it comes to appliances. This video describes how GE, after years in a pricing slump, implemented new product innovation and comprehensive brand positioning for their Profile and Monogram brands of appliances. By investing in style and innovation, they have gone upstream in price. They also implemented a limited distribution strategy to reveal elegant and upscale trends. This enhanced five years of double-digit growth at GE.
XIII/ Chapter 13: Designing and Managing Services
Topic: Service Classification; Services Marketing; Service Improvement Strategies
- How do we define and classify services, and how do they differ from goods?
- What are the new services realities?
- How can we achieve excellence in services marketing?
- How can we improve service quality?
- How can goods marketers improve customer-support services?
Synopsis This video describes the continued growth and success at AFLAC after they initiated an advertising campaign. The development of the white AFLAC duck increased sales and made AFLAC a popular brand. Consumers recognized the brand and it continued to grow and increase in sale of insurance services.
XIV/ Chapter 14: Developing Pricing Strategies and Programs Topic: Social Responsibility and Managing Ethics
- How do consumers process and evaluate prices?
- How should a company set prices initially for products or services?
- How should a company adapt prices to meet varying circumstances and opportunities?
- When should a company initiate a price change?
- How should a company respond to a competitor’s price change?
Video Title: Patagonia – Social Responsibility and Managing Ethics
Synopsis Patagonia feels that a positive role model can help inspire people to do the right thing. This video describes how Patagonia inspires and implements solutions to the environmental crisis. Patagonia shows how best practices may not always be enough; and that as a producer of goods they need to look at the negative impact that is having on the environment. They implemented the Footprint Chronicles website in an effort to be transparent with everything they do in their attempt to be a good corporate citizen on a global basis.
XV/ Chapter 15: Designing and Managing Integrated Marketing Channels
Topic: Marketing Channel Systems; Value Network; Channel Design; E-Commerce
- What is a marketing channel system and value network?
- What work do marketing channels perform?
- How should channels be designed?
- What decisions do companies face in managing their channels?
- How should companies integrate channels and manage channel conflict?
- What are the key issues with e-commerce and m-commerce?
Video Title: Progressive
Synopsis This video describes a historical overview of the changes at Progressive. The video describes new marketing channels and how those channels provide a new way to expand the consumer base. Progressive was successful in its ability to integrate channels and develop new channels to ensure the continued growth and competitiveness within the organization.
XVI/ Chapter 16: Managing Retailing, Wholesaling, and Logistics
Topic: Retailing; Wholesaling; and Logistics
- What major types of marketing intermediaries occupy this sector?
- What marketing decisions do these marketing intermediaries make?
- What are the major trends with marketing intermediaries?
- What does the future hold for private label brands?
Video Title: Nike
Synopsis This video describes the variety of Nike products, its target market, and the channels used to sell products. An overview of marketing intermediaries and channels are presented in the video; and the methods of distribution in those channels.
XVII/ Chapter 17: Designing and Managing Integrated Marketing Communications
Topic: Marketing Communications
- How do marketing communications work?
- What are the major steps in developing effective communications?
- What is the communications mix, and how should it be set?
- What is an integrated marketing communications program?
Video Title: Wild Planet
Synopsis This video describes how Wild Planet gathers ideas and product strategies through effective marketing communications. The company establishes methods to gather information from the target market and others associated with that target market.
XVIII/ Chapter 18: Managing Mass Communications: Advertising, Sales Promotions, Events and Experiences, and Public Relations
Topic: Mass Communications; Advertising; Sales Promotions
- What steps are required in developing an advertising program?
- How should sales promotion decisions be made?
- What are the guidelines for effective brand-building events and experiences?
- How can companies exploit the potential of public relations and publicity?
Video Title: Ziba
Synopsis This video describes how the designers at Ziba determine the needs and wants of the consumer through extensive research; and it develops products based on trends in the marketplace. The company focuses on the development of new and innovative products based on the outcome of consumer research. The design process starts after the results of research and competitor focus is analyzed.
XIX/ Chapter 19: Managing Personal Communications: Direct and Interactive Marketing, Word of Mouth, and Personal Selling
Topic: Communications; Direct and Interactive Marketing
- How can companies conduct direct marketing for competitive advantage?
- How can companies carry out effective interactive marketing?
- How does word of mouth affect marketing success?
- What decisions do companies face in designing and managing a sales force?
- How can salespeople improve their selling, negotiation, and relationship marketing skills?
Video Title: Meredith
Synopsis This video describes how Meredith gains a competitive advantage in direct marketing initiatives. The company collects data that is sorted based on results of data collected from consumers. The company has the largest consumer storage database to market products and services to the consumer.
XX/ Chapter 20: Introducing New Market Offerings
Topic: New product offerings; new product development; product development process.
- What challenges does a company face in developing new products and services?
- What organizational structures and processes do managers use to oversee new product development?
- What are the main stages in developing new products and services?
- What is the best way to manage the new product development process?
- What factors affect the rate of diffusion and consumer adoption of newly launched products and services?
Video Title: Honest Tea
Synopsis This video describes how Seth Goldman developed an organic company to fill a gap that existed because he could not seem to quench his thirst; and there were no products or services in the market that fulfilled this need. He implemented a philanthropic business practice that grew from an idea into a successful and philanthropic business.
XXI/ Chapter 21: Tapping Into Global Markets Topic: Global Marketing
- What factors should a company review before deciding to go abroad?
- How can companies evaluate and select specific foreign markets to enter?
- What are the differences between marketing in a developing and a developed market?
- What are the major ways of entering a foreign market?
- To what extent must the company adapt its products and marketing program to each foreign country?
- How do marketers influence country-of-origin effects?
- How should the company manage and organize its international activities?
Video Title: Strawberry Frog: Behind the Scenes of an Advertising Campaign
Synopsis This video describes how a company can maintain a competitive advantage based on the way they position their strategies. Students evaluate and compare modes of entry; and how to target a specific market on a global basis.
XXII/ Chapter 22: Managing a Holistic Marketing Organization for the Long Run
Topic: Marketing Trends; Internal Marketing; Responsible Social Marketing; Marketing Improvement Activities
- What are important trends in marketing practices?
- What are the keys to effective internal marketing?
- How can companies be responsible social marketers?
- How can a company improve its marketing skills?
- What tools are available to help companies monitor and improve their marketing activities?
Video Title: Patagonia: Ethics and Social Responsibility
Synopsis This video describes how Patagonia implements ethical and socially responsible marketing practices. It is revealed that a company needs to take full responsibility for its actions. The video discusses the mission, culture and core values at Patagonia. The company is known a transparent organization that contributes to social and environmental responsibility. Employees are encouraged to continue peaceful environmental activism.
Categories: Marketing Management